Concrete walls don’t have to limit your design aesthetics. A boring gray wall can be transformed with color in a few simple steps. Consider the following when tackling a concrete painting project:
How to paint a concrete wall
1. The first step in this process is to clean and prep the concrete you will be painting. Once the surface is clean, it is important that you take the time to carefully survey the concrete for any visible cracks.
2. If there are cracks present, you will need to fill the cracks using a concrete patch kit. These can be purchased at your favorite hardware or paint store. The goal of patchwork is to create a solid, clean surface to begin prepping for paint. Following any cleaning and patch work, let the area dry completely before moving forward.
3. Next, you will want to use a concrete sealer to seal the surface. Apply a thin, even coat and allow the sealer to dry completely. We recommend leaving it to dry overnight.
4. Following the sealer, you will want to apply a concrete primer. Primer will help the paint to adhere to the surface and display a smooth, balanced finish. Make sure to apply the primer evenly, as this is the true base for your coat of paint. Allow the primer to dry thoroughly before proceeding to the next step.
5. At this point you are ready to apply the concrete paint. If you aren’t sure what concrete paint is, visit your local hardware or paint store and they will direct you to the product you need. Most projects will require two to three coats of concrete paint. Remember your goal is a smooth, clean finish without any visible streaks. Allow the paint to dry overnight.
6. The final step of the process is another round of sealer (yes, again!). Because this is the final step, best practice is to apply two coats to protect the integrity of your paint job.
Interior and Exterior Painting in Eugene and Springfield
We know, that’s a lot of paint. Whether you want to warm up your home’s interior concrete aesthetic, or if you’ve got exterior concrete walls that need a (sur)facelift, we’re here to help. Our expert painters will clean, prep and complete your concrete painting project so you don’t have to. Request a free painting estimate from Checkmark Painting today.